John Green: Candidate #1

The search for the elusive John Green continues. Following from Anne Young's guidance and advice, I've been chasing convict John Green's. There are a just a few listed in the State Records Convict index. [Do I get an award for understatement?] 

Given that Thomas, a likely son of John was born in 1825 in England any John Green's transported between 1824-33 when the family made their way out became a likely suspect. 11 suitable candidates were identified. After dismissing those who were way to young, married to other people or Irish, 3 were left.



The John Green born in 1786, tried in Gloucester and sent out in 1826 on the England seemed a good match. But turns out he was a bit of a gaol bird over here as well and as such was pretty traceable in his exploits around the Hunter Valley. On to the maybe but not likely list he goes. 2 left.

Introducing Candidate #1 :

John Green #1 was born in Bedfordshire c. 1791. Married with 2 Girls and 2 boys and working as a farmservant/groom he was convicted with 3 others in Buckinghamshire for sheep stealing. Thus earning a one way trip on the Camden at his majesty's pleasure. In 1841 he writes to the Governor from his assignment at Goulburn and is granted a ticket of leave. What he wrote and whether it links him to any of our known individuals will be explored in a special episode, "The Colonial Secretary's Correspondence: Blindness by Microfilm." Remember to tune in next time for Candidate #2!

Comments

  1. Hi Sharon. I notice in your notes a "Ann Green" and a marriage. Do you have any further details on her. My wife is reputed to have an Ann Green in her heritage. I have not yet tried to establish the accuracy of it.
    Ann b 1793 was the daughter of James, and married a John Pittock.

    Regards
    John Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      My Ann Green was born in 1818 and married convict Benjamin Taylor at Sutton Forest in 1835. Not the same person I am afraid.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting - a lot of the time blogger doesn't tell me I have a new comment so I often don't see them, and if I do I don't get your contact details so please feel free to email me as well smuffett@gmail.com or contact me on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/sharon.muffett/ Slightly more reliable!

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 1 - Firsts

DNA mapping

Updated DNA Maps